Chicken is one of our favorite foods, but a lot of the time we’re stuck with a tiny window of ideas how to use it. Many of those ideas aren’t exactly the most healthy, like frying the chicken or baking it into pies of some kind. As a result, we’re always on the lookout for new, amazing recipes for the use of chicken that’s not only healthy, but easy to make.
Anchovies are one of our favorite foods for their savory taste. So when we found this Cacciatore recipe we just had to share it with you. You will need: 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 pounds of chick thigh cutlets, an onion, garlic, dry white wine, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar and half a cup of chicken stock, along with 1 can of crushed tomatoes and 1/4 of a cup of tomato paste. Finally, our favorite ingredient: 2 anchovy filets for this one.
- Start out by heating up the olive oil in a saucepan and then cook the chicken in waves by placing it into the oil until it’s completely browned.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then toss the garlic and onion in there until the onion completely softens up. From there you will add the wine, vinegar, chicken stock, crushed tomatoes (makes sure you don’t drain this out of the can), paste and anchovies.
- Return all the chicken to the pan, make sure the chicken is tightly fit into it into a single layer of the pan for best results. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for 20 minutes covered, then uncover it for 30 minutes to reduce the sauce.
The final result has 587 calories per serving, and 39.9 g of fat with 40.5g of protein. This makes it a very hearty meal, good for dinners more so than a lunch.
-The Best Arroz con Pollo
This is one of those meals that everyone loves, and it’s simple to make. You start out with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, four chicken thighs and four drumsticks. Chop a red bell pepper and a green one as well. You will also need 1 3/4 cup of canned tomatoes and drain and chop them, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, two cloves of garlic, a small onion and two ounces of smoked ham (dice this into slices around 1/4 inch per slice or so). You will also want two cups of chicken broth and a cup of rice.
- Get a deep frying pan out and heat the oil over moderate heat. Rub salt and pepper into the chicken, and cook the chicken in the pan until brown, You want to pour off the fat from the chicken only leaving about two tablespoons of it left.
- Bring the heat to a moderate low and add in the ham, onion (chopped), and minced garlic to the pan, stirring occasionally as it cooks. Takes right around 2 minutes for the onion to get soft, and after it does add the bell peppers. Cook for another 3 minutes or so.
- From there toss in the tomatoes from the can, tomato paste (1 tbsp) and a pinch of pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the rice to the pan and stir it in, and then add the chicken on top of that as a single layer. Partially cover it and simmer for 20-25 minutes.